The 82-year-old former Italian premier, Silviol Berlusconi, known for his sordid sex parties and crashing gaffes has made a triumphant return.
An Italian court lifted a ban on Berlusconi holding public office for good behaviour.
His election is the first step on the path back to the corridors of power.
Speaking on Monday, he said the result showed Forza Italia is still indispensable and the centre right cannot win without it and he will remain the sole levee against anti-European nationalism.
Time and time again the oft-disgraced politician Berlusconi was forced to resign as prime minister in 2011 after running the Italian economy into the ground.
He was forced to give up his parliamentary seat following a conviction for tax fraud in 2015.
His last few years in the country’s top job had been marred by allegations of corruption and tales of “bunga bunga” sex parties at his lavish villa outside Milan.
He was accused of unlawful sex with 17-year-old nightclub dancer Ruby “the heart-stealer”.
Berlusconi sees himself as an elder statesmanlike figure with experience in international relations and often been said to harbour ambitions of becoming president of Italy.
But his legacy of political corruption and tawdry scandals tainted Italian politics.
There may be fresh elections in the autumn, Forza Italia could then return to government as part of a centre-right coalition.
Election as an MEP doesn’t really change much.