A spokesperson for the White House said, the U.S. President Donald Trump has not ordered the Pentagon to withdraw troops from Afghanistan as the conflict is at an impasse.
The statement came more than a week after a U.S. official said the Pentagon will withdraw 7,000 of about 14,000 troops in Afghanistan that was widely reported in media.
The U.S. President repeatedly said he was eager to bring troops home from overseas but he didn’t publicly talk about Afghanistan.
The spokesman said, Trump has not made a determination to drawdown U.S. military presence in Afghanistan and not directed the Department of Defense to begin the process.
The U.S. commander of international forces in Afghanistan, General Scott Miller, said Sunday he had not received any orders to change troop levels in the country.
The senior lawmakers, Republicans and Democrats, in the United States criticized the president’s decision last week to begin pulling troops out of Syria.
Trump’s move prompted Defense Secretary Jim Mattis to resign.
Mattis is among one of the high military officials emphasizing on adding more troops to the already present in Afghanistan and expanding area of air attacks.
The longest military conflict in the U.S. history that has cost about 2,300 American lives. Trump has long criticized the 17-year-old war in Afghanistan that has not prevented conditions on the ground from deteriorating.
The U.S. has appropriated about $126 billion for relief and reconstruction, including $78 billion for security, according to reports.
Secretary of State Michael Pompeo, ex-Defense Secretary Jim Mattis and others have said, strategy to fight the Taliban is working, adding, Afghanistan is a “tough fight but the American effort is working.